2 – Rogers Hornsby 2B
3 – Stan Musial LF
4 – Albert Pujols 1B
5 – Ted Williams DH
6 – Willie Mays CF
7 – George Brett 3B
8 – Johnny Bench C
9 – Honus Wagner SS
You lose all credibility with a few of your comments:
1) Joe DiMaggio is one of the best fielding center fielders ever, and you say “he wasn’t that great with the glove.”
2) Joe DiMaggio is one of the greatest contact hitters of all time, easily better than anyone in your lineup (with the exception of Hornsby), and you try and claim that he’s not a great contact hitter. The guy never struck out more than 40 times in a season.
3) You are obviously leaving Bonds, Rodriguez, and others off the list for steroid use – but inexplicably include Eric Gagne in your bullpen, a guy whose only real value was a 1.5 year stretch fueled entirely by steroid use.
4) You claim Pete Rose “wasn’t fantastic with the glove” when he won 2 gold gloves, was considered a very good fielding outfielder, and made the all-star game at 4 different positions during his career.
5) Stop stressing the importance of fielding when you include Rogers Hornsby, one of the all time worst fielding middle infielders ever, in your lineup
Maybe you should just stick to basketball articles.