Between now and Sunday, 22 players will no longer be on the active roster for the Chicago Bears. While a large majority of those already have their fates decided, a number of players go into tonight’s showdown with real NFL aspirations. Here are the 22 players, broken down by chances and circumstances, who will more than likely by cut:
- #11 Josh Lenz- never really had a shot at catching on, unless he became the next Wes Welker, which clearly didn’t happen.
- #18 Trent Edwards- He was brought in a day after Jordan Palmer, who had previously worked out with the team. Unless Palmer implodes, Edwards is expected to be back on the couch next week.
- #45 Harvey Unga- The Bears ay not carry any fullbacks, but if they do, it most certainly won’t be Unga, it’ll be Tony Fiammetta.
- #46 Tom Nelson- With Anthony Walters and Brandon Hardin battling it out, Nelson is simply a body to spare in the pre-season.
- #64o Derek Dennis- Honestly, have you heard his name once, even with the injuries and inconsistencies up front?
- #72 Josh Williams- After being brought in after the rash of injuries along the defensive line, it was a mild surprise he lasted longer than Kyle Moore.
- #82 Brittan Golden- With battles ahead of him between Marquess Wilson, Eric Weems and Terrence Toliver, the odds of him earning a spot are nil.
Close, but no cigar
- #25 Armando Allen- Michael Ford is forcing the Bears to make a tough decision picking between the two backs, but at this point, my gut tells me Ford is their man.
- #30 Demontre Hurst- He had a chance if Isaiah Frey had slipped up, but Frey has impressed being expectations. The undrafted rookie has shown flashes of potential.
- #39 CJ Wilson- Coaches wanted to see him be more physical and he answered the call with a mega hit in the Oakland game. Unfortunately, consistency is key in the NFL.
- #53 Jerry Franklin- He practiced well, he played well, but his natural talents do not exceed the rookie Khaseem Greene or Jonathan Bostic, and he surely isn’t as keen on teams as Blake Costanzo.
- #64 Christian Tupou- Big body, bigger hair, but not enough big plays. Could be brought back if Henry Melton relapses plus another injury upfront.
- #71 Aston Whiteside- Physical, fast, agile, but he’s playing at a position of strength for the Bears.
- #76o Cory Brandon- His versatility has kept him around, but ultimately it’s either him or J’Marcus Webb, and Webb has more “potential”.
Could, maybe, possibly, but probably not
- Brandon Hardin
- Brandon Hartson
- Taylor Boggs
- Corey Irvin
- Terrence Toliver
- Kyle Adams
- Cheta Ozougwu
- JT Thomas