- Women’s Lacrosse: We’ll start off with the Women’s Lacrosse team, who returned home from their trip to the North West to face in conference Adrian College. Fatigued from their long week in Oregon and Washington, the lady lax team limped to a two to 20 loss last Sunday. But the Cardinals quickly bounced back in their next challenge, taking out their frustration on Olivet College with a 20-3 pounding. Caroline Gully led the way for North Central with five goals in the contest.
- Men’s Tennis: Switching from the lax fields to the tennis courts, the men’s tennis team returned to Illinois after their Spring Break trip to Florida to play three matches in two days. Also suffering from jet lag, the Cardinals lost all three matches, 1-8 on Friday and 3-6 in both matches on Saturday. They will try and bounce back at home on Wednesday against Judson University.
- Track and Field: Next, we go down to Jay and Dot Buikema track in Benedetti-Wehrli Stadium for a look at the performance of the men’s and women’s track and field squads.
- Men’s: First off, the men’s team took home the hardware this weekend by scoring a whopping 225 points in the meet. The Cardinals were led by the usual suspect, Mike Spain, who personally put up an automatic qualifying time in the 10,000 meter event with a 29 minute and 37 second time.
- Women’s: Seeing the men put up 225 points, the women’s team raised the bar by putting up 254 points in their first outdoor track meet of the season. Amanda Leasch set a school record and had TWO qualifying times, one in the 10,000 meter and the other in the 5,000 meter race.
- Softball: The Cardinal softball team resumed action after more than a week off on Thursday when the squared off with Beloit College for a double header. The break did them some good as they came away with two victories. Unfortunately the momentum didn’t carry over to the weekend match with Aurora University, as they dropped both games on Saturday at home. They start conference play Tuesday versus Elmhurst.
- Baseball: Finally, after the men’s baseball team lost on Tuesday to Aurora, they came back home in dramatic fashion against North Park University Saturday at Zimmerman Stadium. Down 12-11 entering the bottom of the ninth, Matt Burke hit a two run, walk off shot to send the Cardinals to their 5 consecutive win at home to start the year. The second game did not go the same way, however, as they dropped it 9-3. Back in action Sunday while visiting North Park, they boys of summer bounced back with a 12-11 win.
Thank you for tuning in to this week’s rundown. For North CentralCardinals.com and W-O-N-C Sports, I am Kevin Jackman, signing out.